Thursday, August 22, 2024

Meet Central American-Caribbean Astronomy Bridge Program Fellows - Part 9

The Central American - Caribbean Bridge in Astrophysics (Cenca Bridge) is a nonprofit organization established in the state of Tennessee in the United States with the mission to create and develop astronomy research opportunities in Central America and the Caribbean. Opportunities to pursue astrophysics in the region are few with only a handful of programs offering master’s in physics with a concentration in astronomy.  Cenca Bridge connects undergraduates from Central America and the Caribbean to mentors and advisors overseas in hope that they have the choice to pursue astrophysics as a profession. Every year, Cenca Bridge holds the remote internship program, where undergraduate students from the region apply to be selected for a 3-month long paid research internship. As the only organization to provide a paid research remote internship, it is important to highlight the contributions that many women in astrophysics from Central America and the Caribbean have already contributed to our field.


In this series, we will highlight selected fellows. If you'd like to learn more about the program and ways you can get involved please visit https://cencabridgeastro.weebly.com/.


In France, during one of many travels.
My name is Thara Caba. I am 24 years old and I was born in the Dominican Republic. I earned my Bachelor’s Degree in Physics at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo. 

How did you first become interested in astronomy or planetary science?
I first became interested in astronomy by watching TV shows like Doctor Who and Cosmos. In my undergrad I had the opportunity to do my thesis at the University of PadovaUniversity of Padova in Italy and reaffirmed my love for astronomy and astrophysics and that this is the path I want to follow.

What are your aspirations?
I want to complete a PhD and establish the first astrophysics research group in my country and give Dominican students the opportunity to do research in this field without having to leave the country. 

What are you currently working on?
I recently started my Master’s Degree in Astrophysics and Space Science at the University of Rome Tor Vergata. It is an Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters program, so every semester I am in a different country. I am studying with a very diverse group of people from all over the world. In my Bachelor’s program, I did research in astroparticle physics and would love to continue on that field.

What else is important to you and how do you make time for it?
My family is very important to me and with a 6-hour time difference, the only way to make time is by having a very strict to-do list (haha!).

I also love traveling and I’ve been very privileged that science has allowed me to do so. :)

What community issues are important to you and why?
Student engagement and the participation of young people in policy making is very important to me. Time and time again, we have seen what happens when young people fall to apathy and don’t engage in the world around them. I recently started working with the Office of Astronomy for Development to see how physics and astronomy students can be incorporated and engaged in their projects. I also worked on the Executive Committee of the International Association of Physics Students and got to meet lots of physics students from around the world and help different student associations. 

During my Bachelor’s degree, I was one of the few women in it and now in my Master’s program, I am the only Black student, so I am also very passionate about the engagement of underrepresented groups in science, With the help of the Office of Astronomy for Development, I had the opportunity to organize an event in the Dominican Republic to encourage women and girls to study astronomy and physics. 

Finally, access to resources and education is very important to me. Astronomy or astrophysics research programs like the Central-American Caribbean Bridge are very important and I am happy that this year I am mentoring one of the students participating in the program. 

Presenting a poster at the
Giambiagi Winter School on Cosmology
at the University of Buenos Aires.
What are your near-future plans?
After surviving my Master’s studeis and the craziness of changing what country I live in every 6 months, I would love to spend some quiet time with my family. After that, I hope to start applying for PhD programs.

No comments :