Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Astronomers for Planet Earth: Abigail Frost

This feature is part of our ongoing series about the amazing women at Astronomers for Planet Earth (A4E), a global network of astronomers and astronomy enthusiasts dedicated to offering their unique perspective to the fight for climate justice. For this post, we'll hear from Abigail Frost, a postdoc at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.

If you're interested in learning more about A4E's work combating global climate change and want to get involved, join them here at: https://astronomersforplanet.earth/join-us-1. And be sure to check out A4E's white paper on what astronomers (like you!) can do to address the climate crisis: Astronomers for Planet Earth: Engaging with the Public to Forge a Sustainable Future.

Dr. Abigail Frost is a postdoc researching stellar formation with the European Research Council's MULTIPLES project.  
What is your current career and how did you end up there?
I am a postdoctoral research associate in astrophysics at KU Leuven (Belgium).

What is your role in Astronomers for Planet Earth (A4E)?
I am involved in a number of working groups in A4E and have recently been involved with writing a CAP article about the organization for the journal.

What goals do you have for your role in A4E?
I would like to help A4E’s presence become more known and to help it create positive sustainable change in astronomy.

Describe the first time you made a personal connection between your passion for astronomy and the urgency of fighting climate change.
When I heard about A4E. I was having a bit of a crisis of conscience because fighting for the planet is extremely important to me, but I spend my 9-5 (or longer) doing something completely separate from that. I worked hard to prove myself in my career and didn’t want to give that up, but I felt guilty. I heard about A4E at a conference and it was great, as I could finally link my career with my environmental passions.


Dr. Frost explores the vibrant beauty of a luscious, tropical garden.
How does your career in astronomy intersect with the fight against climate change?
Because I have the opportunity to do a lot of outreach with schools, I feel that this is an important avenue to help spread the news of the climate crisis and emphasize that while we can dream of going to Mars and beyond, none of that will be possible on a large scale unless we look after the Earth.

How can the astronomical community engage with the climate crisis movement?
Astronomers have a fortunate view in the public eye. Astronomy is particularly successful in outreach, meaning that our voices can be heard by many people. It’s up to us when we engage that we also use this platform to talk about protecting our Earth too.

If you weren’t in the field of astronomy, what would you be doing?
Working in environmental/climate science.

Do you have any advice for future astronomers who might also be interested in addressing the climate crisis?
Join A4E and get involved. Additionally, find your own ways to share information related to the climate crisis and push for change in your own household, department and city.

No comments :